Thursday, October 17, 2013

Mustang Island State Park, Mustang Island, Texas

Thursday, October 17, 2013
Mustang Island State Park, Mustang Island, Texas


We woke up at 4:30 yesterday and were on the road by 5:30. The goal was to make it here before dark. It was a 10 or 11 hour day, with about 9 hours of driving and many rest stops along the way. The weather was cloudy the whole way, with quite a bit of rain, though thankfully not very heavy.


The park is simple, no frills but close to the beach. We'll be here for a week before heading to Austin. Today was a decompression and laundry day. Tomorrow we'll begin to explore the area around Port Aransas and Corpus Christi. Saturday morning we'll do a interpretive walk along the beach with a Park Ranger and then maybe hit the local Farmer's Market.

The weather here is perfect for us: overcast with a cool off shore breeze.
Peg has finally got her water.


2 comments:

  1. OK, I give up. I see "Gulls" but no "Mustangs". So why is it called Mustang Island.
    Good news, I see that you guys are in Texas as planned. We are still hoping to catch up with you in late January probably without the RV.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, no mustangs here. I haven't looked for padres on Padre Island, but I suspect there are very few there. The mustangs were brought in by the Spanish, of course. No idea what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete