We left Buda, TX around 7 a.m. The slide out went in without any problems, release held breath. We back tracked a little north on the I 35 to catch the 45 going east, then onto the 71 going sort of south east. Traffic wasn't bad at that hour. I must say that Texas 71 is one of the nicest roads I have ever been on. In fact I can say that all the highways we've been on in Texas have been in great condition, even remote F.Ms. (Farm to Market). But 71 is not just in great shape, the scenery is pretty as it rolls through small towns and mostly ranch country. It's a very peaceful feel, and reminded me of New Hampshire or upstate New York. It brought me back to childhood at Aunt Dorothy's and drives through the countryside in the summer. The road is mostly a 4 lane divided highway, and the further you get from the city center the fewer stop lights you have to deal with. Eventually we hit I-10 on it's way to Houston, and it is back to the battle with the semis. But I am so used to them now that they don't bother me nearly as much as they did when we started. And Peg must be getting used to my driving because she doesn't yell "white line" whenever I get close to the shoulder.
We were hung up in Houston for probably 30 minutes by an accident up ahead that blocked at least 2 of the 4 lanes. I was barely able to glimpse Houston as I was driving. One of the disadvantages of being the driver is that you mostly remember the traffic when you try to recall a big city that you only went through. So I couldn't tell you what Houston looks like except it's downtown looks sorta like Austin or San Antonio: big bluish glass skyscrapers full of money. Another disadvantage of being driver is that I can't take pictures, so if Peg didn't take any then we're out of luck.
We had intended on breaking the day up with an overnight at a Sam's Club in Beaumont, just outside of Houston. We were so ahead of schedule, though, that we decided to push on to Breaux Bridge, our intended destination. We did stop for lunch and a nap at the welcome center for Louisiana, just over the border from Texas, then pushed on to Breaux Bridge, all told about 395 miles in one day, more than I signed up for, but easily doable in chunks. This may become our preferred way of travel. It eliminates a night stop, which entails the whole ritual of packing an unpacking stuff. Not that we unpack everything, but we do want coffee in the a.m.so we need to get that out, and our computers come out, of course, and other little things that need to be packed for travel come out and have to be repacked. And we don't put the slide out when we boondock, so things are cramped. Now that we're in Breaux Bridge we're here for a week, and we unpack for a week. Very nice.
Our current RV park is right off of the freeway, not a good sign initially. But the two ladies who check us in are friendly and very enthusiastic about their town and the area. When we tell them we are here to eat they light up and enthusiastically start with suggestions. We're in luck, since there is a local festival happening this weekend. Also, one of the best restaurants around for local food is just down the street. After all, we're here for crawfish, boudin, and daiquiris to go. And maybe (definitely) some Zydeco.
Yes, 395 miles a day makes for a long day. We usually limit a transit day travel to 250 miles. But on days when we have to get from point A to B we bite the bullet and go. We found that claculatioins using a average speed 40 mph work out best for us. We would a budgeted 10 hours to travel that distance. That would put us on the road by 9am and we would be boondocking (Wal Mart Sams Club) by 7pm but definately by sunset. Then do it again the second day but getting to the next layover by 4 pm.
ReplyDeleteAh, and the universal statement 'White Line' has such multiple meanings.