Today was a quiet day. We went out to breakfast at Perkins after I opened my Christmas present (a very nice shot glass
The park puts on this dinner, it cost $5 per person and they request that you bring a dessert enough for 6 to 8 people. It looks like they served over 100 people. It was done very efficiently, with trolleys coming out loaded with dinner plates. No waiting in line, no mad dash to get something before it was gone. They took the desserts and portioned them out onto plates so you could get your pick of pies, cupcakes, candy or whatever. The dinner plate had ham, or turkey if you requested it, scalloped potatoes, green beans and dressing. The food was good simple fare and the hard work done by staff and volunteers was very much appreciated.
![]() |
| One of 3 dessert tables |
![]() |
| Saying Hi to friends while waiting for dinner |
As was the case at the Thanksgiving Day dinner the best part was the company. We sat next to a couple who had just come down from Worcester, MA and their daughter who lives here in Kissimmee. The father and mother had just arrived and were going to stay until May, when they would go back for his seasonal job. This was the first of what they planned would be many trips in their motor home and many trips down to Florida. In the small world department I mentioned that I had gone to school in Worcester, and when we said we were headed to Ormond Beach next they said that they had lived there for some years.
We talked about where we had been and where we were headed and they gave us tips on places to stay along the way. They had spent time in many of the places we plan to go so they had some good knowledge of places to stay. Unlike at the Thanksgiving dinner, this time I was armed with a note pad so I was able to write much of the information down.
When we got back to the rig I opened up my birthday present, a disappearing Tardis mug. The mug doesn't disappear, the Tardis does when you put coffee in it. The Tardis is Dr Who's ... Oh, look it up if you don't know. Shame on you.
It is the same mug I saw in a store earlier this week at Old Town Kissimmee. I almost pointed it out to Peg to ask her if she wanted one. Glad I didn't. It's tough buying presents for each other and keeping it a secret when generally only 4 feet separate you most of the time. This year I gave up. I didn't have a clue what to get her and I couldn't figure out how I would do it anyway. You can't even get stuff delivered surreptitiously when you're on the road. I'm glad she was able to figure out how to do it without me knowing. They are both very cool gifts.



That is one heck of a dessert table! Sounds like you are having a ball. Candace just said you can cook what ever you want when you get here because you will have a full kitchen. Read you back posts, what is mullet dip? Kate
ReplyDeleteA mullet is a fish found in temperate and tropical waters. Thought of as a 'trash' fish is some places. It is very popular in the panhandle of Florida. I haven't seen it anywhere else in our travels. All You Can Eat Mullet is advertised in many restaurants. The smoked mullet dip we were turned on to is locally made by individual purveyors and can vary in taste and composition. The people we talked with had very particular ideas about who made the best dip. We tried two vendors, both similar but different, both very good. I am tempted to try to make a similar dip out of the more easily obtainable smoked herring. I haven't seen mullet since we left the panhandle.
Delete