Thursday, February 6, 2014

Jekyll Island, Georgia

February 6, 2014

We left Ormond Beach this morning, swinging by the local tire shop to have the tires checked and several valve stem valves replaced. The tires were all running low, anywhere from 45 psi to 95 psi, this on truck tires which are supposed to be inflated from 105 to 120 psi. Part of the problem was leaking valve stems, part due to the constant wide fluctuations in temperature. I'm so glad we got them checked, and I'm going to be more religious about checking them from now on. Kudos to the folks at Boulevard Tire for conscientious work.

It was a leisurely drive up the 95 to Georgia. We stopped at the Visitor's Center just over the border and the temperature seemed to have dropped at least 10 degrees from Florida.  Peg is happy just to be out of the heat. It's raining here this evening and should continue all night and into tomorrow.

Jekyll Island is 200+ acres of mostly untouched beachfront and marshland. It was purchased by wealthy (I mean really rich, like Rockefellers and Vanderbilts) in 1886. They formed the Jekyll Island Club and created an exclusive getaway that lasted until 1942. I presume to hunt and fish and get away from the wives. It is now an historic landmark. Because it was in private hands for so long it is largely undeveloped. The museum has a tour of the historic area and there is also a sea turtle rehabilitation station on the island. We plan to visit both tomorrow as well as explore the beaches. We only have 2 nights here and must leave on Saturday morning, so what we can do is severely time limited.

Entrance, Jekyll Island Campground

Once we arrived we got the rig set up easily. The spaces here are crowded and very wooded, but overall it seems like a nice, well run park. The wi-fi is strong, Hallelujah! They do warn that they will cut you off if you have excessive downloads. No Netflix, then. That's the first I've ever seen anyone do that on a free wi-fi system. I can't argue against it, especially when you have over 200 sites to service.

One thing the park does for its long time residents is post a sign in front of their rig with the silhouette of the state or province that they are from. A nice touch, as it saves you from craning your neck to see all of the different license plates. 

I hadn't gotten around to taking pictures of the park, figuring I have time tomorrow. But I did get this one. Lots of people from New York here. Even from Rome, NY. Anybody left in Upstate?



We had lunch on a nearby island, St Simon, which is nearly straight across from the campground, as the crow flies, but is somewhat roundabout via the roadway.


Saint Simon is much more built up, and in a good way. It's quaint and historic with a pleasantly human sized downtown area. And even a lighthouse.

Thankfully, because I am using a cane, I don't even have to think about climbing it.

We had lunch at a small cafe near the water. There are many places to choose from and they all seem good, from lowly burger joints to higher end fare. We chose this for cost, convenience and menu selection. I got their small salamagundi salad, a take on the old chef's salad, and a cup of their clam chowder. Peg had grilled shrimp on a croissant. Both were excellent, and we took half the salad home as a base for dinner. I recommend the Sandcastle Cafe for lunch. Others, both online and our waitress, say the breakfast buffet is the best.

 We stopped at the local library on the way to the lighthouse. Peg bought 2 more library bags, very nice canvas bags with something locally identifying on them. I didn't look too closely.

On the way back to camp we stopped at the remains of Horton House. At first glance you might say "Why?". Why did they keep it? This is Horton House, and what little is left of it has some interesting history.


Major William Horton came to Georgia in 1735 as second in command to General Oglethorpe. Horton was granted 500 acres on condition that he have 20 percent of the land under cultivation within 10 years. In 5 years he was established enough to return to England for his wife and sons. He eventually succeeded General Oglethorpe as commander. During this time he built this house and developed his plantation as well as helping out many of his neighbors. The house's construction is what is interesting here.It was made of a material called tabby. It's origin is thought to be Moroccan. It was extensively used in the Southeast and the lowland country. It must be sturdy, as the walls still stand today.

Here is a section of wall of the Horton House. The oyster shells are clearly seen.




No comments:

Post a Comment